[ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-07 18:04:07 UTC
Dear Dolphiners,

I'm inviting you to accept a spring gift from a sunny side of the Alps:
a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)

I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server starts
and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works with all
functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days Dolphin
experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac files. I hope
someone from your community will help me here. I prepared a whole image
together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb packages and you can download
it from:

ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha1.zip

I propose that after a code will be properly packaged, we release a beta
version. After a bit more wide testing we can release it as a final one.

Best regards
Janko
Bill Schwab
2006-05-07 20:23:27 UTC
Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)
I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server starts
and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works with all
functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days Dolphin
experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac files. I hope
someone from your community will help me here. I prepared a whole image
together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb packages and you can download
There is a problem with doing this. Please check your email ASAP.

Bill
--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
***@anest4.anest.ufl.edu
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-07 20:41:10 UTC
Bill,

I removed a download link until I figured out how to put that beast from
image back to .pac files and not violate any intellectual rights from
Object Arts. I didn't notice that registration keys are part of image
and not stored somewhere on Windows. I apologize to OA for that.

Janko
Post by Bill Schwab
Janko,
Bill
Bill Schwab
2006-05-07 21:36:48 UTC
Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
I removed a download link until I figured out how to put that beast from
image back to .pac files and not violate any intellectual rights from
Object Arts. I didn't notice that registration keys are part of image
and not stored somewhere on Windows. I apologize to OA for that.
Thanks for acting quickly. I could be missing something about OA's
image security, but I doubt it given the list of redistributable files
and the fact that I copy unlocked images to new machines all of the
time. Please accept my apologies if this turns out to have been a false
alarm.

What trouble did you have saving packages?

Have a good one,

Bill
--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
***@anest4.anest.ufl.edu
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-08 08:23:56 UTC
Post by Bill Schwab
What trouble did you have saving packages?
Obviously Dolphin doesn't handle undeclared things as VW and therefore
1:1 mapping of VW to Dolphin packages won't go. Saving of every package
reports an error: Package cannot be saved: The package will NOT load in
this form so the package has not be saved, would you like to browse
prerequeisites ..

I obviusly have a lot of "circular" references, which are nicely handled
in VW, but here, hmm, what to do?

I'll put everything in one big package and later see what to do.
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-08 09:33:32 UTC
Dear Dolphiners,

I prepared packages of Aida/Web:

ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha2.zip

Installation instructions:

1.unpack .zip
2.install package Swazoo from folder Swazoo
3.install all packages from folder AIDAWeb
(don't bother about errors in Transcript, we are still alpha :)
4. SwazooServer demoStart
5. open http://localhost:8888
6. login as admin/password

Swazoo packages are Sean Malloy port of Swazoo, included here for a
convinience.

Best regards
Janko
Dear Dolphiners,
Janko
tgkuo
2006-05-08 15:55:12 UTC
On Mon, 08 May 2006 11:33:32 +0200, Janko Mivsek
Post by Janko Mivsek
Dear Dolphiners,
ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha2.zip
1.unpack .zip
2.install package Swazoo from folder Swazoo
3.install all packages from folder AIDAWeb
(don't bother about errors in Transcript, we are still alpha :)
4. SwazooServer demoStart
5. open http://localhost:8888
6. login as admin/password
nice work, brilliant. It runs ok at first sight, the browser showed
all the functions available on original VW port.

It's a good pleasure to have a strong web server and environment again
on Dolphin .
I'll spend time on it.

tk kuo
macta
2006-05-09 08:51:00 UTC
Hi tgkuo + Janko
Post by tgkuo
nice work, brilliant. It runs ok at first sight, the browser showed
all the functions available on original VW port.
How did you get this to work? Are you using D6?

I loaded the packages into a clean D6 image and had all kinds of problems?

1. (minor) The Swazoo package seems to be nested deeper than Dolphin expects
- at least it seems to me that the convention is that packages are in directories
at the same level as the "Object Arts" directory however the Swazoo pre-reqs
in Aida seem to have ../../Swazoo (one level of ..'s too many) - so I had
to locate the included Swazoo package on load.

2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted in
Dec but there are differences (I diffed them using Subversion and Tortoise)
and noticed a halt left in there, some new variable called a Watchdog? Thare
are also complaints about methods that are already in the image?

When I run: SwazooServer demoStart

3. Aida references a class called Timestamp - there is already in Dolphin
a class called TimeStamp (note the uppercase S). Aida want the method #asSeconds,
its defined on the second class not the first

4. I made Timestamp subclass TimeStamp (removed inst vars) to see how far
I could get - the next error is that the Set of users, get sent the message
#contains: - Dolphin defines #includes: (normally dolphin is pretty ansi
standard so I imagine contains: is not)?

5. I added that method, next I hit a DNU on #allComposedViewMethods where
it does ^self superclass isWebApplication (self is a WebApplication, so
self superclass is a WebPage that doesn't implement #isWebApplication)

So I am wondering if I did something completely wrong (maybe associated with
1 and 2 above?)

Tim
macta
2006-05-09 09:05:24 UTC
Hi TimM,
Post by macta
Hi tgkuo + Janko
2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted
in Dec but there are differences
I also forgot to mention that everyone seems to prefer an older version of
Swazoo that Steve Waring did that has a nice integrated console to stop and
start sites (I believe that OA uses this version to host their site)

It seems that the newer port (yours and the one Sean Malloy did in Dec -
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) have lots of
new classes - but I was never sure what the newer Swazoo gave you, and so
stuck to the old one. I notice that you (Janko) are a Swazoo committer so
maybe you can shed some light on this too?

This might be important as its not possible to have both version of Swazoo
in the image at the same time...

Tim
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-09 10:07:01 UTC
Hi Tim,
Post by macta
Post by macta
2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted
in Dec but there are differences
I also forgot to mention that everyone seems to prefer an older version
of Swazoo that Steve Waring did that has a nice integrated console to
stop and start sites (I believe that OA uses this version to host their
site)
It seems that the newer port (yours and the one Sean Malloy did in Dec -
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) have lots of
new classes - but I was never sure what the newer Swazoo gave you, and
so stuck to the old one. I notice that you (Janko) are a Swazoo
committer so maybe you can shed some light on this too?
This might be important as its not possible to have both version of
Swazoo in the image at the same time...
Tim
Sean Malloy's port is the newest Swazoo 1.0 (just renamed from 0.9.101)
and is the same as VW Swazoo 1.0. It is obviuosly well ported because it
worked with Aida almost instantly (only those changes you noticed were
needed). Therefore I suggest that someone port the console to this
version of Swazoo and problem will be solved: you'll be able to run on
the same SwazooServer both static sites and also one or more Aida's ones!

Janko
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-09 09:56:49 UTC
Hi Tim,

I'm have exactly 4 days of Dolphin experience, so I can just repeat all
steps I do to test this port:

1.clean D6 community image in a default folder (in My Documents)
2.unpack .zip in the same folder, so that you'll have two new
subfolders: Swazoo and AIDAWeb
3. install Swazoo.pac from that new folder Swazoo, this should install
some other Swazoo packages as well
4. install all packages from folder AIDAWeb

All your other problems seems to come from fault in proper installation
of that packages.

I hope that helps a bit
Janko
Post by macta
Hi tgkuo + Janko
Tim
m***@gmail.com
2006-05-09 14:35:59 UTC
That worked better - create a directory called Aida in the Dolphin
directory and then extract your files into that.

To be honest - my thought would be that its better if both AidaWeb and
Swazoo were in the Dolphin directory (that seems to be the way that
other tools work). E.g. I already had a Swazoo directory (the contents
being what Sean Malloy did - and it had been modified to prevent the
method overwrite warning that you get about the DateTime stuff).

It would also be good to have one master package that loads everything
- I think one of my other problems was that I missed one of the
packages, - loading AidaWeb or the test package didn't load everything
(e.g. AidaSystemChanges and Swazoo-Aida). I usually do this by just
having a package - AidaDemo with an #aidPrereq methods on things in the
other packages (I bet the others have a better reccomendation - but
thats an easy one one to do).

Finally - now it loads and I get the login screen - but when I type
admin, password I just get a blank page (I'm using firefox). I notice
the same thing when I loaded into VisualWorks as well? Note - the
online web demo seems to work fine?

Tim
tgkuo
2006-05-09 15:32:18 UTC
On Tue, 9 May 2006 08:51:00 +0000 (UTC), macta <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi TimM,
Post by macta
How did you get this to work? Are you using D6?
I don't know exactly how I get it work as expected on D6.

I met several errors, too, initially, just those odd things around
HTTPConnection, missing classVariabless, which I supposed due to
mismatch between old and new Swazoo packages. I played some tricks
using Source Tracking system to mix up the two but in vain, the errors
still showed up.

So, I reinstalled forcely the new one from Steve's web side, i.e.
the last updated one that Sean Malloy did in Dec , put on
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) , put in a
new package directory, then bypass Janko's step 3 ( without installing
his Swazoo package, install directly the Aida packages, disregard the
Transcript warnings and errors, then, type ' SwazooServer demoStart '
in a workspace, do it, then the machinery runs.

I cann't remember exactly the detailed procedures, but you can have
a try.

Best regards,

Tk Kuo
TimM
2006-05-09 17:14:25 UTC
I got much further - doing something similar - but I still can't get
passed the login screen - typing admin, password gives a blank white
page in Firefox. In IE I gut an Object not found exception in the
browser (does it work in IE - I recall you need to do browser detection
and have different javascript methods to invoke stuff - I'm hoping
thats all built in, or at least can be easily done).

Maybe I should try using the Sean Malloy port instead.

Or maybe its an order of loading things error?

Tim
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-09 17:39:58 UTC
Hi Tim and Tk Kuo,

I just retried again the installation and again succeed. I think you
have problems with Swazoo installation. Please install one included in
my .zip and not original one from Sean! Also be sure to install Swazoo
first and then ALL AIDAWeb packages. Package Swazoo-AIDA namely extends
Swazoo classes (loose methods).

Included Swazoo is slightly changed Sean's original and I didn't figure
out yet, how make those changes without changing original package.

Aida now works for me from both Firefox and IE, all functionality after
succesfull login.

I hope that helps.
Janko
Tim
macta
2006-05-10 07:24:31 UTC
Hi Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
Hi Tim and Tk Kuo,
I just retried again the installation and again succeed. I think you
have problems with Swazoo installation. Please install one included in
my .zip and not original one from Sean! Also be sure to install Swazoo
first and then ALL AIDAWeb packages. Package Swazoo-AIDA namely
extends Swazoo classes (loose methods).
Actually that's what I have been doing - here's the steps I've been following:

Unzip the file contents with full paths to a directory called Aida (in the
Dolphin root directory)

in a clean image:
1) Install Swazoo-Dolphin (accept the warning about over-writing methods
- this should be fixed by the way)
2) Install Aida System Changes
3) Install Swazoo Aida

launch a browser on http://localhost:8888/ - I get the initial login screen
with the logo and everything.
Enter admin, password - click login - get a white screen

I have tried doing steps 2 and 3 in different orders and I get the same problem.
I have tried using IE instead of firefox and I get an Object required runtime
error in the browser - if I continue and login I get a page not found error

Its quite frustrating - and I don't know what I'm doing differently to you?

Tim
TimM
2006-05-10 09:51:19 UTC
I should point out that in my steps above, loading Swazoo-Dolphin does
load all the included dolphin swazoo files. Loading Aida System Changes
and Swazoo Aida does load all 4 aida packages (I assume I don't need
the Aida-Test although loading it doesn't seem to make a difference).

I can set a breakpoint on #viewLogin in WebAdminApp and step through
some code but I'm not sure where it does after pressing the Login
button.

Tim
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-10 11:29:42 UTC
Tim, check the following Swazoo methods to see if they are correctly
installed:

1.HTTPConnection getAndDispatchMessages, does it have self halt in
exception block?

2.DolphinSwazooPlatform collection:aCollection tokensBasedOnAll: anArray

Last two lines must be:

oc add: (aCollection copyFrom: selfPos to: aCollection size).
^oc

Those are patches I made to original Swazoo. Last one is nessesary for
form posting to work at all while first one will raise an exception in
case of any error, instead of a blank web page as it shows now.

Best regards
Janko
Tim
TimM
2006-05-10 11:59:33 UTC
#1 is like that
#2 had oc add: (aCollection copyFrom: selfPos to: self size). (e.g.
not aCollection size)

When I make the correction I now don't get a white screen - it returns
back to the login page and the transctipt says: login: Admin at: 10.5
12:53 from: 127.0.0.1

However clicking on any of the examples (like Tabs) just gives me the
login page again.

So its much closer - but still something not quite right?
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-10 21:31:38 UTC
Tim, you are definitively closer! If there is Admin instead of Guest
written in upper left corner then you are really logged in. Aida
security don't let you access somehow any page and redirect you back to
login.

Try to initialize a whole thing again from start:

1.SwazooServer demoStop
2.inspect SwazooServer singleton and nil instvar sites
3.SwazooServer demoStart

Any better now?

Best regards
Janko
macta
2006-05-10 22:31:24 UTC
Hi Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
Tim, you are definitively closer! If there is Admin instead of Guest
written in upper left corner then you are really logged in. Aida
security don't let you access somehow any page and redirect you back
to login.
1.SwazooServer demoStop
2.inspect SwazooServer singleton and nil instvar sites
3.SwazooServer demoStart
Any better now?
No it still says guest in the top left - I tried the steps you suggested
but it still gives the same behavior - a am returned to the login screen.

I also tried saving the one change we identified and then reloading everything
into a clean image again (actually it occurs to me that I am using D6 professional
- maybe thats a difference?)

Is it possible you have some other change you have missed? I find that I
use Subversion and TortoiseSVN with Dolphin (even thought professional has
omnibase) as it lets me version everything including resources, and Tortoise
has a nice Diff tool - potentially it might help spot another difference?

In the morning I'll try the community version and maybe try it on a different
machine.

In the meantime I've been looking at the code a little bit - do you have
a really really simple example?

Tim

Tim
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-10 22:54:17 UTC
Tim, look into a tutorial http://www.swazoo.org/aida-tutorial.html for
really simple example. Tutorial is still evolving, but currently is IMHO
already good enough to get a basic feel about Aida.

About login, just checking, do you login with username admin and
password password? After that you get message in Transcript, right? How
it looks you first page after login?

Yes, please try community install, because I don't have Dolphin
professional here.

Best regards
Janko
Post by macta
Hi Janko,
Tim
Chris Uppal
2006-05-11 11:25:30 UTC
Janko, Tim,
Post by Janko Mivsek
Yes, please try community install, because I don't have Dolphin
professional here.
It's just about working for me with D6 pro patchlevel 1 (not 2, though I doubt
if that makes a difference). That's with the change you've already mentioned
to DolphinSwazooPlatform>>collection:tokensBasedOnAll:. I can log in and see
the stats, use the admin panels, and so on.

There seems to be too much supression of error messages and exceptions (for an
alpha version), I've added another halt to HTTPConnection>>handleError: and
changed HTTPConnection>>interact so that the Error handler reads
on: Error do: [:ex | ex notify. self close]

One problem that revealed is that the implementation of #handleError: does not
work at all -- #getSignal is not defined (I have no idea what it is supposed to
mean).

One other small fix is to HTTPMessage>>printHeaders: which now reads:

printHeaders
| stream |
stream := WriteStream on: String new.
self headers keysAndValuesDo: [:key :header |
stream
nextPutAll: header name;
nextPutAll: ': ';
display: header value;
cr].
^stream contents.

That's because "header value" can be an Integer, and you can't use #, to
concatenate a String and an Integer. I don't think that affects the ability to
log in, though.

-- chris
TimM
2006-05-12 01:01:31 UTC
How are you doing this?

I have just tried it on another machine - my desktop, and when I try to
login (after applying the #collection: aCollection tokensBasedOnAll:
anArray fix, I still just keep getting stuck on the password screen and
so I can't run the demo locally like I can on the web site?

Or are you just trying the tutorial, which doesn't look to have any of
the password stuff (interestingly, I guess the website demo doesn't
either?)

Janko - there is something that is causing the password access to not
work, and I don't understand what the difference between my two
machines are from yours?

Myabe Chris has a thought - or do you have a suggestion as to how I can
help debug this... I am interested with what you have done - it looks
more streamlined than Seaside, and maybe has the edge on the Ajax
stuff... so am quite keen to get something running.

Anyway - do you have any more ideas?

Tim
Chris Uppal
2006-05-12 09:28:10 UTC
Tim, Janko,
Post by TimM
How are you doing this?
Create a new directory. Unzip the stuff that Janko posted into it (creates two
sub-directories).

Fire up a clean D6 Pro pl1 image (I would expect that pl2 is just as good, but
haven't actually tried it). Saved that as a new image (called Aida) in my new
directory.

Explicitly loaded package Swazoo/Swazoo.pac. Accepted the warning[*].
Explicitly loaded package Swazoo/Swazoo-Resources.pac (don't know if that's
necessary).

([*] Actually. at this point I went and found the offending duplcate methods,
removed them from the package, saved it, and then started again from scratch --
but I can't see why that should make any difference to your problems. Janko,
you may not realise that it's important to fix this problem -- it's not just
cosmetic in Dolphin since the system doesn't restore the original versions of
these methods when you unload the package).

Explictly loaded package AIDAWeb/AIDAWeb.pac. Explictly loaded package
AIDAWeb/Swazoo-AIDA.pac. Explictly loaded package AIDAWeb/AIDA System
Changes.pac. (I didn't bother with the tests package)

(Janko, you may not know that you can add to the prerequisites of a package
explicitly if you want. The system automatically computes prerequisites by
tracking things like class references, but does not track dependencies which
are only via message sends. So you can add "manaual prerequisites" by right
clicking on a Package in the Package Browser, selecting "properties", selecting
the manualPrerequisites item in the list of properties, and then using the new
item (red asterix) button in the right-hand pane of the inspector). I have no
idea why OA still make this operation so obscure. It would seem much more
sensible for the manual prerequisites to be settable directly from the
"Prerequsites" tab -- as was suggested years ago ;-)

Tried the:
SwazooServer demoStart.
mantra. Found it didn't work. Started investigating by making the changes
detailed in my earlier post. In the process rediscovered Janko's fix for
#collection:tokensBasedOnAll:)

Having made those changes (without restarting or anything) the example now
works as advertised -- I could log in as admin/password (all lower-case). That
shows a fairly blank-looking screen until I select one of the options in the
sidebar -- Statistics, for instance.

If I don't log in then I can't get to any of the side-bar pages, but just keep
coming back to the login page.
Post by TimM
Or are you just trying the tutorial, which doesn't look to have any of
the password stuff (interestingly, I guess the website demo doesn't
either?)
I have tried the tutorial /too/. I have to log in as admin before it will work
(the tutorial does mention that).
Post by TimM
Myabe Chris has a thought - or do you have a suggestion as to how I can
help debug this...
Make the changes that I suggested earlier, and keep an eye on your Transcript.
You may (depending on your browser) find that you'll get occasional spontaneous
debug halts. That's just the system working correctly (for its current,
pre-alpha, state). It happens when Firefox (and maybe other browsers) time out
and close the persistent connections they use to multiplex HTTP 1.1 requests
over a single TCP/IP connection. Swazoo/AIDA seems to handle multiplexing
fine, but the error handling code gets confused by the SocketClosed exception.
You can just "resume" the dialogs when they pop up.

If you want to debug through the login attempt, then one place you could put a
breakpoint is in AIDASite>>answerTo:.

-- chris
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-12 10:14:22 UTC
Hi Chris and Tim,

I'll prepare new packages and try to more carefully package them.
Non-inclussion of #collection:tokensBasedOnAll: patch obviously shows
that patched Swazoo is wrongly packaged. I'll also include all packaging
and prerequisite suggestions (thanks Chris for them!). Please expect new
packages soon.

Best regards
Janko
Post by Chris Uppal
Tim, Janko,
-- chris
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-12 10:27:51 UTC
Chris, Tim and others,

In the meantime, can you comment tutorial a bit?
http://www.swazoo.org/aida-tutorial.html. Is it good enough, simple
enough or even too simple? Does it give you enough feel of Aida?

I'll continue tutorial with forms, then actions and also most simple
Ajax example (I still need to figure out how to make it simple, based on
tutorial's app so far). What more do you like to be in tutorial?

Best regards
Janko
Chris Uppal
2006-05-12 12:32:49 UTC
Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
In the meantime, can you comment tutorial a bit?
http://www.swazoo.org/aida-tutorial.html. Is it good enough, simple
enough or even too simple? Does it give you enough feel of Aida?
I found it clear and helpful, and I /think/ it has given be a clear picture
of what Aida is and how it works (I don't know anything much about Aida
/except/ what I got from the tutorial, so I don't really know how much I may be
missing ;-).

I'd say that it's probably best if you leave it as it is, as a simple and
complete example. If you add more tutorial material (a good idea, if you can
afford the time and effort) then I'd make separate tutorial pages which
concentrate on other features, rather than add anything to that page.

I did make a couple of small suggestions earlier. I'll add one more. The
paragraphs about logging in before trying the example are a bit obscure, I'd
suggest re-writing it to something like:

=============
Before you can try it out, you'll have to log in. So open your browser on:
http://localhost:8888/
and log in as admin with password: 'password'. Now you can browse to our new
page at:
http://localhost:8888/addressbook.html

If you hadn't logged in first then that would have taken you to the login page,
because the default security settings don't allow the guest user to read any
pages. As admin you have right to see all the pages by default.
=============

BTW, it seems that if you try to read a page to which you don't have access
then you are taken to the login screen, but after you have logged in, you are
taken to the last page you accessed rather than the one you originally wanted.
Is that something which can be changed ? And what happens if that page doesn't
exist any more ?

-- chris
TimM
2006-05-12 10:43:35 UTC
I have some more info on this.

I tried it again in IE (6.0.29....)

First I get an error (A runtime error has occured - Do you wish to
debug? Line 2214 Error: Object required).

I type no (I think I get this becuase I have the MS javascript debuger
installed in IE - but I think it indicates some error in your
javascript - I also notice some errors in the Firefox console as well).

When I l first did a login with admin/password - I did get your left
nav bar - but the center was white and the status bar indicated that
the page was still trying to load (the IE flag keeps floating as well).

I assumed this was the same as Firefox, however its actually not - if I
click on some of the left items I can get them to work - however you
still get the page not loading fully problem (is this how its supposed
to work?). The Ajax examples don't seem to properly work either - e.g.
typing jan does not pop up a month listbox like your web demo.

I wonder if Chris is using IE?

So in firefox - I am wondering what the problem is - probably some
other variant of this problem to? Or maybe its some security setting? I
am using firefox 1.5.0.3

Tim

p.s. At least I can sort of run the tutorial in IE
TimM
2006-05-12 12:07:37 UTC
As a thought I tried loading it in to Visual Works -

I get the same behavior from Firefox (I can't login) and in IE (page
keeps loading) - so I don't think its a Dolphin Port thing.

It sounds like a machine configuration or a browser version thing?
Although I 've tried this on two machines now - so machine config is
looking a bit less likely.

Tim

p.s. The VW zip file, which I installed into the parcels directory of
VW = seems to say its verison 4.x not 5? Maybe some comment needs
updating?
Chris Uppal
2006-05-12 12:30:51 UTC
Post by TimM
I wonder if Chris is using IE?
I was using Firefox 1.5.0.2. I've just updated to 1.5.0.3 and get the same
results: it works with no obvious errors or problems in either logging in,

I fired up IE (6.0.28 -- not patched in ages) and that also appears to work
correctly.

The only exception to the "everything works" is that in the "Tabs" demo,
clicking on any of the tabs takes me to the "Image gallery" page instead of
changing the tab. But I assume that's a bug in the demo itself, rather than
any kind of problem with the framework. (It happens in both browsers)

I've just remembered that I have Opera (8.52) installed on this machine and
that appears to work too (although there were some problems getting it to
realise that localhost:8888 is actually a hostname, and also its implementation
of HTTP 1.1 seems to be more sensitive to the problem with socket closed
exceptions which I mentioned earlier).

-- chris
TimM
2006-05-12 16:12:54 UTC
This is just plain wierd - so both of my browsers seem to exhibit
behavior that I can't login (although the Transcript indicates that I
have).

I've tried it in VW and Dolphin and get the same problem with alpha5.
So could it be an operating system or any other software that I might
have running?

I'm on XP SP2 on both computers - could that be a difference?
Different virus checkers (norton and avg - although can't imagine they
stop this).
Potentially security settings of the browser? I don't knowingly have
anything set to prevent cookies...

I'm stumped.

Tim
TimM
2006-05-12 16:20:47 UTC
Or is there some socket dll or something that I've got corrupted or out
of date on both my machines - or is there some windows update thats
caused this...

Tim
Janko Mivsek
2006-05-12 16:35:08 UTC
Tim,

Try Firefox with FireBug extension installed and look at javascript
errors reported. Also, after login, refresh your page (on IE with
Ctrl-F5). Any better?

I'm working with Firefox on Linux and have Win XP SP2 inside VMware,
where I'm testing stuff on both IE and Firefox. All those browser
combinations work for me.

On IE, switch off js debugger, because there is an js error on login
page, but normally browser just ignore it. I'll try to fix that too.

I'd even go and sniff a raw network traffic with Ethereal to track the
problem down...

Janko
Tim
Chris Uppal
2006-05-12 17:16:47 UTC
Janko, Tim,
Post by Janko Mivsek
I'd even go and sniff a raw network traffic with Ethereal to track the
problem down...
Seconded. I would have turned to it well before this.

An immensely useful tool. If you (not meant personally, Tim) don't have it in
your toolset, but do ever have to trouble-shoot or debug any kind of networked
service, then you are just wasting your own time. Oodles of your own time...

-- chris
TimM
2006-05-12 17:38:53 UTC
I'd forgotten all about Ethereal... yes will install it.

But you know what - have just installed Firebug and now it works
against VW... (althought IE still acts funny by not fully loading the
page).

So there is something suspicious here.

My home machine hasn't got firebug so I will try that test there.

Tim

Chris Uppal
2006-05-11 12:52:19 UTC
Janko,
Post by Janko Mivsek
Tim, look into a tutorial http://www.swazoo.org/aida-tutorial.html for
really simple example. Tutorial is still evolving, but currently is IMHO
already good enough to get a basic feel about Aida.
Thanks for that, I've just worked through it, and everything worked fine.

Or rather, I had a couple of glitches, but they were my fault rather than
problems with either Aida or your tutorial. Still, you might consider adding a
couple of warnings to help other Dolphin users avoid my mistakes (it's up to
you of course!).

Anyway, my first problem was that (since I can't copy-paste) the class creation
methods into Dolphin, I first created AddressBookAp and AddressAp classes, and
didn't even notice that I'd replaced "App" with "Ap" (the single-p looks more
natural to me). But since Aida uses class name lookup that failed at runtime.
So it's important to get the class names exactly right.

Secondly, I spent a little time trying to find out why the suggested
AddressBookApp>>viewMain had an undefined self-send of #pageFrameWith:title: I
was thinking that might be the reason why my application was not working. (D6
Pro warns you about that kind of thing automatically, I don't know whether the
free version does the same.)

-- chris